Saturday 6 June 2009

THE THREATENED CLOUD HAS PASSED AWAY

Friday 5th June. Christ Church Meadow, Oxford.

Listening to Radio 4 the other morning, a spokesman from the wonderfully titled ‘Cloud Appreciation Society’ had been talking about some type of clouds which had been seen rarely above Great Britain. He suggested a suitable name could be ‘Undulus Asperatus’; indicating a very turbulent, violent, chaotic form of undulation.
This morning whilst travelling from Abingdon to Oxford; we saw them. I was amazed and had never seen their like before. It was as if the special effects department of Pinewood Studios was working overtime. I found the results overbearing; I could imagine how such things could have caused a riot in the middle ages.
I have taken a few photographs and even now; with the evidence before me, I find them some of the most unusual clouds that I had ever seen. They passed over quite quickly and were replaced by more conventional cover of a lighter nature.
We passed through Sandford lock slowly; Myra chatted to the lock keeper about Concertinas. The arrival of a boat wishing to use the lock cut the conversations short and we moved on. Through Iffley lock and were soon mooring against the towpath opposite Christ Church Meadow as the drizzle turned to rain.


2009 Totals – Locks 223; Miles 447.5; Bus pass uses 8