Tuesday 30 June 2009

PARROT, DREDGER AND STANIER PACIFIC

Oxford Canal, Kings Sutton lock; Tuesday 30th June
4word of the day – WELCOMELY in an interview with
The Right Hon. Bill Rammell, MP, Minister of State for the Armed Forces.

Yesterday, we had a visit from Peter Cole, a friend from Aynho, who used to live in Sussex. Rosa, his wife sadly died two years ago, she was a character and a lovely lady. We had a good afternoon and supper with Peter. We had know Rosa and Peter since our children were at primary school together.

This morning, we called at Aynho Wharf for diesel, the base price was 66p, which translated to 92p on a 60/40 split. For the first time, I was given a detailed copy of the form that I had signed; giving the actual amounts in litres and the split, very useful to a trainspotter minded record keeper. Having moved away, I said received a ‘Good morning’ from a lady on the towpath who was walking her dog. At least, I am supposing that it was her that spoke; for perched on her right shoulder was a Parrot! I did take a photograph, just to prove that I am safe with the neat Malt that I enjoy in the evenings.
Approaching Aynho weird lock, a BW man was oiling the paddle gear; you can tell that they have moved to Nell Bridge yard as this was in easy walking distance.
We shared the lock and arrived at Nell Bridge lock to find the gate being opened for us; the crew of a southbound hire boat had checked to see if anyone was approaching.
We thanked them for their consideration and chatted whilst the lock was filling.
At Kings Sutton Lock, we managed to get onto the lock mooring despite the privately owned boat which was tied up, obviously since last night. Blow you jack, I’m all right.
We finished for the day and tied up above the lock to allow the hot weather to do its worst. We had finished our mid day snack when I saw a BW man standing on the old lift bridge brickwork. A DREDGER then appeared and began to remove some of the bricks and stones that had fallen into the canal. As I know that no boaters will believe that BW own any dredgers; let alone use them, I have taken a photograph. So there.
Settling down in the boat with a book; I was immediately unsettled by the sound of a steam engine whistle on the nearby railway line. Grabbing the camera, I went outside as fast as I could, just managing to get a photo of LMS liveried 6233 Duchess of Sutherland, heading south with her support coach. I managed to get the engine, the tender and support coach were out of frame! What a sight; one of Staniers finest and one of my favourites. Wake up Clare!
There was a photographer at the occupation crossing with a tripod, the lucky man must have been in possession of inside information; he left soon afterwards. The temperature is now 32 degrees C.


2009 Totals: 291 Locks – 611 miles – 14 Bus pass uses