Friday 19 June 2009

SUCCESSFUL SHOPPING TRIP

Cassington nature reserve, Nr. Oxford

Dusting off the bus passes, we walked into Oxford for the journey to Thame.
In my transport days, when travelling home along the M40 having delivered to Banbury or Birmingham; I was in the habit of diverting there to visit the bakery. The bacon rolls were always worth the journey, sometimes helped down by a caramel shortbread slice. We tried the pasty and a steak pie today; they were not as good as I had remembered the bacon rolls to be. Perhaps my memory has a faulty default ‘Selective’ button.
Thame market has been held regularly on a Tuesday since 1230. They would sell more if they started a bit earlier; still, they know their business.
Thame has a lot of interesting buildings and good selection of shops along both sides of the market place and the adjoining access roads. I wandered into a motor accessory shop as I needed an oil filter for the boat engine. It was immediately obvious that it was a family run business; we were made welcome as we crossed the threshold. I quoted a Wix filter part number and the reference (or cross reference) book was produced from under the counter. The Fram part number ‘PH 6811’ was the one; I purchased same and I have now, two alternative part numbers available. I prefer to deal with small shops whenever possible as the staff usually have better knowledge of their stock and uses thereof.
Close by was a branch of Robert Dyas; browsing inside I found some large castor cups. I have been looking for some since the fitting of the new carpets in our bungalow; I am now a happy old Hector.
On our return to Oxford, we decided to move moorings as the weather was dry.
We tied up half way between Kings and Eynsham locks at Cassington nature reserve, the wind was by this time very strong and gusty.


2009 Totals: 260 Locks – 541 miles – 14 Bus pass uses