Tuesday 2 June 2009

BOVINE ALARM CLOCK

Monday 1st June, Gatehampton, River Thames

A glorious day was dawning as the 4.50am alarm call that we did not request caused us to awaken. Cows were chatting to each other as they chewed the grass next to the boat. Thanks a bunch, but the sunrise looked very good. Having persuaded them not to eat our fenders or the towel on the side lockers, I went back to bed and dozed off.
Under a clear blue, sunny sky with a slight chill from the wind, we set off at the crack of 9.20am. All went fine until we reached Benson Lock; I had put the prop into reverse to slow down, that was OK. When I selected forward and increased revs, I was going faster in reverse! The gearbox selector cable had broken; it had been installed only ten years: no wonder that we lost the Empire.
We carry a spare; I began to dismantle the control lever assembly and having a few unsuccessful tries to remove it from the housing, I realised that I could not change the cable unless I did.
Plan B was put in place – telephone River Canal Rescue! We waited; sitting in the sun watching the different standards of rope throwing from the boat crews in the lock – fascinating.
The engineer attended and did the job whilst I watched so that I would be able to do the next one, hopefully in another ten years time. Although the skill of the call out engineers remains excellent, I have noticed that the office standards have slipped a bit over the last couple of years.
We had a snack lunch on the move and tied up by Gatehampton Railway Bridge with distant views to the hills. Myra had her daily swim, pronouncing the water to be colder than on Sunday.


2009 Totals – Locks 208; Miles 393; Bus pass uses 8