Sunday 15 June 2008

The day before Father's Day

SATURDAY. Martlet remained tied up today. Our son Alastair arrived from afar (well, Southport) bearing fathers day and birthday presents. At lunchtime he took us both out for a meal and afterwards, a wander around the Ford main dealer almost next to the pub. I wanted to see how my 6’6” frame would fit in the driving seat of a Focus C max. The answer was easily; the position was excellent for me as the seat was high off the floor and I had room to spare above my head. There was also enough room for my left leg clear of the centre console and my left foot clear of the clutch pedal. These things are important when your feet are a good English size 12! I was reminded of how comfortable it was for me to drive our 1965 Morris Oxford. We returned to Martlet and all sat around, chatting, drinking and eating cake. Wonderful. I spent an hour in the evening chatting to Rick whose boat was now next to ours; he now has a repaired engine and gearbox and is a very happy bunny.

Weather overcast and heavy showers, a few bright intervals
The 2008 journey thus far: 201 Locks & 320.5 Miles & 19 Swing\Lift Bridges
Journeys using bus pass: 13