Tuesday 8 June 2010

RIVER BOLLIN AQUEDUCT TO CASTLEFIELDS

Thursday 3rd June
A misty start, heralding a fine day to come; the morning smelled right. At least it did to me at 6.30am as we moved away. Cheery waves from Pauline and Duncan, at least that was my interpretation of them. The canal slowly looses its rural nature as it enters Sale.
A contrast is provided by the large site occupied by the Linotype company, and the blocks of flats south of the canal. The flats look as if the experts would have been falling over themselves to give out awards like confetti. They remind me of a kitchen appliance, or from another view, a crash helmet. I have included a photograph, feel free to judge for yourselves.
The canal side at Sale has been developed, the main danger there now seems to be the cyclist/jogger interface (where did that come from - I must restrict my Radio 4 Today program listening) The canal from there to Stretford is a green corridor with many shrubs and trees in bloom as we slowly passed by.
Turning right at Waters meeting junction for the short run into Castlefields and after the visit to the ablutions; mooring up for the day.