Sunday 16 August 2009

GOING UPSTREAM

Upton in Severn, Sunday 16th August

Please do not adjust your set, the interference is purely temporary.
We have gone boating again!
We did 20 miles against the flow from Gloucester dock to Upton on Severn, all of the way at 1500 RPM. At these revs. in still water, Martlet is travelling close to 6 MPH; we were making good 4.5 miles in one hour across the ground today. Therefore, I conclude that the Severn was running at about 1.5 MPH. Certainly, the engine sounded sweeter after a hour or so having had to work for a living.
I think that the Severn is a bit uninteresting until Ashleworth Quay is reached; owing to the trees obscuring a lot of what views are available.
I called up the keeper at Upper Lode lock, and it was almost ready as we approached.

Holding onto the risers, and just before he opened the top gates, we was shouting to a boat above the lock ‘There is a boat coming out, you’ll have to wait’
Well, there is a red traffic light and there were two boats waiting on the pontoon; but I suppose it was an easy mistake to make – especially if you are a person of restricted brain power… As we left the lock, the narrowboat, steered by a woman (fact: no slur or denigration intended, purely included for the sake of accuracy) was at right angles and there was no room for me to pass.
No movement was noticeable on her part nor that of her boat, so I stopped our boat and shouted ‘What are you trying to do? She gesticulated wildly and her boat began to move backwards. We were still unsure of what she meant; but I was able to grab a fistful of revs and pass in front close to the weir wall.

The first of some beautifully proportioned bridges came into view above the River Avon junction; this one is Mythe Bridge. It is a cast iron arch bridge; the span is 170 feet the width 24 feet, designed (of course) by Thomas Telford and completed in April 1826. It was cast by William Hazledine; the total cost including the approaches was £14,600. I am not alone in my thoughts of the bridge. Telford is reputed to have written 'I reckon this the most handsomest bridge which has been built under my direction' so there. I am no Thomas Telford, but I know what I like!

Arriving at Upton on Severn, the visitor moorings were full, but one boat was moving away from the inside position above the link span. We drifted back into the spot after he had left and managed to moor despite the fact that there is no cleat or bollard for the back end.

2009 Totals: 421 Locks – 801 miles – 29 Bus pass uses.