Friday 23 May 2008

Huddersfield - home of various architectural gems

We had a short journey planned for today, into Huddersfield and moor on the visitor moorings outside Sainsburys. The locks were the usual wide choice type. By that description, I meant that they were all wide, one of them had both ground paddles working: the other seven had choices, but never all of the ground ones and gate ones in working order. I was reminded of my days bale carting on the farm; every time that I threw a rope around a bollard, it came back with a bale of hay attached, I think I would rather have this than the small gravel at some locks, at least the grass does not scratch paintwork! The broad canal seemed deeper than the 2’6” given in Nicholson which was just as well as Martlet draws that amount when static! The narrow is shown as 3’6”, so here’s hoping. I went under the unusual Loco lift bridge and arrived at Sainsburys moorings, marked in Nicholson, Geoprojects and Pearson guides as visitor. Only they are not. They are now permanent moorers only; anyone else has to use the towpath side with the underwater ledge and piles of canine guano hidden in the long grass. Welcome to Huddersfield! I was stared at by a man who had just got off a boat on the permanent moorings. I waved and was greeted by further staring. Perhaps the family trees hereabouts have less branches than elsewhere. Oh well. We moored up carefully and then went walkabout for the purpose of building spotting. What treasures were in store for us. The Railway station was magnificent, even the statue of Harold Wilson

( sometime president of the Isles of Scilly tourist board) on the forecourt failed to be a distraction. Buttresses boosted the grand appearance of 19th century gabled roof rooms on many buildings, turreted corners and excellent stonework gave the impression of an effective mixture of the French and Scottish building styles in the same street. The new covered shopping areas were the same bland mixture as any other place, but for me, could not take away the overall style of the place. I was impressed. We had a look around Apsley Wharf Marina chandlery. They had a tin of waterproof grease; otherwise I would have said that it was poorly stocked. Thinking about it; I will say it - it was poorly stocked! AND guess who took my money, yes, the staring man from earlier in this tale. We will move onto the narrow canal tomorrow after a visit to the covered market for fruit and vegetables.

Weather muggy, hot sunny intervals, dry

The 2008 journey thus far: 150 Locks & 274.5Miles & 19 Swing\Lift Bridges

Journeys using bus pass: 8