Friday 16 July 2010

FINE WEATHER BLOGGER

With the rain, I have not been taking many photos, as they seem a bit lifeless when the light is low. I did manage to sneak a few in between showers as we headed for Stone.
I have always liked the row of canal side cottages at Barlaston, so I have included a picture of them.
Having gone down the first two locks at Meaford, we could not believe our eyes. The bank on the road side had collapsed into the canal many years ago and the surrounding orange safety fencing had been severely bleached with age. Now, no fencing and a lovely straight length of new piling. No more playing chicken with the traffic in the lane when walking to the next lock, thank you BW!
At Stone, as I was entering Newcastle Road lock, there was a Rover 3500 coming out of a side lane; this is my favourite car of all time. Plenty of power, great handling and a nice reassuring heavy feel to the car. It is also the vehicle in which I have travelled the fastest on a road - an indicated 130MPH on the M2, July 1974. You don't forget things like that. (Yes it was legal, but that story will keep for another day)
At Stone, we became part of a four boat locking convoy; back to helping other boaters and passing the time of day talking. A good day, we tied at Tixall wide with a view of the Gatehouse about an hour before the rain started in earnest.