Sunday 6 July 2008

Tread carefully....................

FRIDAY. At Low Bradley
The 2008 journey thus far: 235 Locks & 346.5 Miles & 45 Swing\Lift Bridges
Journeys using bus pass: 16
We received an early telephone call from Chris at Canvas Man covers; they had altered the rear tonneau and the cratch covers and could fit them this morning. Great, we stayed put and John arrived to do the job. All was completed; the roof of the cratch was a bit creased, but we would look at it after the first decent rain. We moved up and through Low Bradley Swing Bridge, mooring on the towpath. The scenery was wonderful, hills all around with towers and obelisks galore. In between showers, the passage of clouds over the hills made a series of striking moving pictures. That night as I was going to bed, ever thoughtful, I turned off the lights before I opened the cabin door to minimise the chance of waking Myra. I had nothing on my feet(sorry Mum)as I began to walk into the bathroom; unfortunately, I made a slight error of judgement and hit the bulkhead on the right with my little toe. It hurt – a lot. I did not swear (the odd bad word has been known to pass my lips) and the exclamation that I did make had Myra awake instantly. ‘I have hurt my little toe’ was my reply to her question. ‘It’s all waggly’ I added. It was in fact sticking out at 45 degrees and was very loose.
Unbeknown to me at that time, Myra was stifling a severe attack of the giggles with her pillow. ‘Shall I stick it back, or will you’ she managed. I took hold of the said toe, rotating it both ways as I lined it up and pushed it back to its former position. It was only just beginning to throb a bit; by now a tear streaked Myra arrived and suggested that it would be better off taped to the next toe. In the absence of sticky plaster, we used draughting tape. It worked well, my toe did not detach itself during the night although it had been doing overtime in changing colour as I slept. It hurt a bit walking on it, but of course my back had been jarred by the sudden deceleration of my leg at the moment of contact. This means a few more days of Ibuprofen before resuming partly normal posture. Oh well.

Weather - warm, dry spells, some rain showers.