Friday 25 July 2008

If the cap fits...........

FRIDAY. At Saltersford Lock, River Weaver
The 2008 trip thus far: 297 Locks; 478Miles; 56 Swing\Lift Bridges. Bus pass journeys 20
We were going to go down Dutton lock this morning. I spoke to Fred, he was expecting a boat down in about 30 minutes; I said we would wait and lock down with him. We did and moved on to Devils garden. We tied up and I looked down the engine hole, I could see coolant weeping from the outlet housing cap (Again). I used a thick piece of rag and attempted to tighten it. Running the engine revealed that I had not reduced the amount of weeping coolant. As we headed back to Dutton lock, I telephoned River and Canal rescue. They were friendly, helpful and organised. The engineer telephoned and we arranged to meet him at Acton Swing Bridge.

He arrived with his mate. I looked around carefully for any video or TV cameras; I was sure that I was being set up, they were the doubles of Ant & Dec! They had bought a new cap with them, unfortunately, it leaked around the central rivet and was therefore useless. They borrowed our Nicholsons guide and off they went to find another cap. They returned with a new cap which fitted and did not leak on test. I will watch it closely for a few days.

When they had left us, we moved off and tied up below Saltersford lock, we will go shopping in Northwich tomorrow as will the crew of the plastic boat moored next to us. We spent some of the evening chatting to them, a pair of genuine, friendly boaters.


Weather- sunshine, very humid, strong breeze.