Wednesday 25 August 2010

MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING

River Thames, Osney, Oxford.
The weather has been showing off again over the last two days. Violent squalls, heavy rain and then gale force winds inland. As our friend Dave used to say 'don't show off; it's not big and it's not clever' how right he was. The weather must have been listening as it has improved today - it is only raining.. Mooring yesterday was easy however, merely stop the forward motion and the wind, blew us into the bank very quickly. I have included a couple of aircraft photographs as the weather has not been of my liking for my photographic standard. Both aircraft were lining up for landing at Brize Norton.
Passing under the old bridge at Godstow this morning, a peacock strode from under a bush and stared at me, apparently there are two of them in the area; the other one stays close to the Trout Inn - perhaps he was a fan of Inspector Morse.
I used to enjoy listening to Radio 4, labouring under the misapprehension that it was an English speaking station; I have been proved to be incorrect of late.
I have decided therefore to cease 'Riverbanking', to begin to 'think outside the box' and to 'be clear'; possibly even 'engage'. All of these in one half hour programme. If only I knew what on earth they were talking about...........
As you may have gathered; it is raining still and having used our bus passes to get to the emporium of J Sainsbury; we are now back on board and will be moored here until tomorrow afternoon when Myra gives slightly less than an armfull of Blood.
If you think that boats go too fast on the canal, then visit the Thames. A lot of narrowboats have names such as Festina Lente, Adagio, Slow motion etc. Once they arrive on the river, these change to Valde Velociter, Presto and watch my wash. Its my age you know; now, where is my medication and my carer?