Wednesday 27 May 2009

GRANDCHILDREN

Wednesday 27th May, Yarnton Mead, River Thames

Where dancing is concerned, I have been blessed with two left feet.
I attempted to prove this using a boat, in public this morning as I backed from our spot within Thrupp Cruising club moorings, in order to turn around. The wind was blowing hard at right angles to the boat; I managed to back it across the canal and into some shelter provided by the moored boats on the windward side of the canal, and turned to face the lift bridge after a few, contactless, shunts.
The bridge was promptly lifted by a kind boater who had been watching our manoeuvres; thus saving Myra getting off the boat and me from getting it off the bank – thank you, whoever you are!
We met No.2 daughter, Clare and her two children Caleb and Madeleine this morning and have taken charge of the grandchildren until Saturday afternoon. Mooring up on the 7 day moorings made the unloading of the car easier.
We had tied up and were stopping the engine when they arrived. Smiling faces and waving from the rear of the car; they enjoy the boat as much as we enjoy having them with us. It is easier for me than for Myra, I can simply turn off my hearing aids!
Clare has said that she thinks that a bag of washing in exchange for three child free days is a good deal as far as she is concerned.
The rain eased after lunchtime and we moved off for the trip of 2 ½ hours to reach the river, both of the children helping at the locks, Caleb watched with interest, three moorhen chicks and their mother. By the time that we arrived on the river at Dukes Cut, the wind was quite strong and the rain was starting again. I managed to get to one of our favourite spots at Yarnton Mead and tie up before the rain became heavier.
After supper, they asked me to read Cinderella; my legs will vouch for the fact that both children are getting heavier.

2009 Totals – Locks 196; Miles 360; Bus pass uses 8