Tuesday 16 September 2008

Homeward bound

TUESDAY. Top of Bosley locks
The 2008 trip thus far: 409Locks; 748.5 Miles; 74 Swing\Lift Bridges. Bus pass journeys 36

Myra telephoned Chris at canvas Man covers as he had not contacted us. James will meet us at Wedgwood Visitor moorings on Friday morning. Good, this means that we can begin our journey to Crick.

We had finished lunch before Myra made the call, so it was “up sticks and at ‘em”. We moved off at 1.15pm. There was one hire boat moving towards the Macclesfield canal; I waited until it had passed, then began to turn Martlet around. I had moved the back end some 10 feet from the bank when the first boat came from the junction heading our way. He slowed to allow me to complete the turn around. By the time that I had finished, another boat was waiting behind the first one!

We did not see another boat until High Lane ; yes, it was in the bridge hole. I waited for him and then moved away. As I neared the North Cheshire Cruising Club arm, a boat had moved off, towing a new shell. As soon as the canal straightened out, they waved us past. It was a beautiful shell with a lovely line to it; I asked the steerer who had built it, ‘Tim Tyler’ was the reply.
The Gardner engine was installed but not yet commissioned, hence the need for a tow.

Passing Braidbar boatyard, through the bridge hole, an oncoming boat signalled to me to move across and pass wrong side. Towpath side, there was a long line of moored boats and a lot of overhanging bushes opposite them. I could see no valid reason for his request, I therefore ignored him and his signal; he moved across and we passed the correct way. I formed the distinct impression that he was unhappy with my decision.

Passing Bollington, there were a few spots of rain in the air; I put on my waterproofs and within a few minutes, it was raining quite hard. It eased a bit but continued raining until just before we reached Fools Nook Swing Bridge.

Passing through Macclesfield deep cutting, the towpath was closed owing to the failure of a large section of stone retaining wall. BW had erected the barriers at either side of the collapse, but no work was in progress to repair the wall.

We stopped for the night as the light was fading and the rain began again, at the top of Bosley locks.

Weather – Dry all morning, then showers.