Thursday 10 April 2008

Creating this Blog

The idea of this blog came from a meeting with Dot and Derek of Gypsy Rover on the Thames in 2007. I am hoping to be able to post details of our travels in a more presentable fashion when I understand more of Blog design. The 'Our' naturally includes Myra, my wife since our marriage in 1965. (Pause for deep thought). I started 'messing about in boats' in 1953 at Shoreham on the south coast, and owing to my powers of persuasion ( you could not believe how I can cry and stamp my feet if I don't get my own way) we took our first family canal holiday in October 1982. The Warwick Ring trip was made from Hillmorton, on 'Pleione' a 55' cruiser stern from Hoseasons out of Rugby Boatbuilders. The cost for one week was £258.55! Details, details - once a trainspotter...................
Early retirement of both Myra and myself made possible the order for Martlet to be placed in 1998; with John Lillie of Riverview Narrowboats, then at Barrow on Soar. The steelwork was by Alexander Boatbuilders. We took delivery in September 1999 and have been travelling the canals in Martlet for at least six months of the year. We have kept a handwritten log which has been copied onto computer since the purchase of a laptop.
The 2008 journey had started from home mooring at Crick Marina on Thursday 21st March, en route for Kegworth and the complete repaint by Andy Cain, who had made an excellent job of the original in 1999. Overnight stops were made at Smeaton Aqueduct on the Thursday,
Kilby Bridge on Friday, Cossington lock on Saturday, Zouch lock on Sunday and Kegworth on the Monday.
We went to Kegworth yesterday 9thApril to see the transformation. We are very pleased, the green main panels slightly lighter than the original Blakes paint as Andy now uses Masons.
We took some of our gear with us to put on Martlet, we will have less to take next time for the weekend when we will be casting off and heading 'Up North'.